Wednesday, April 25, 2007

you are what you eat

I saw my dad the other day for the first time in a few weeks. He had just stopped at the store to get a few groceries and he says, "I was just at BJ's, and everyone there is HUGE! I don't even mean overweight, I mean obese." I of course gave my usual, "Dad!" to which he replied, "I'm serious. When you were in elementary school and I used to go to back to school night, you would see a few people overweight, and a few obese, but now it's everyone!"
Clearly it's not everyone, but America is fatter than ever. Europe's obesity numbers are much lower, and a big part of that is probably because they eat organic food. A friend of mine has gone to Macedonia every summer since I've known her. Every summer she eats whatever she wants, and still comes home ten pounds lighter. It is oftentimes expensive to eat organics, but there are solutions.
The NY Times also had a great article this week about why it's so expensive to eat healthy, and what we can do about it.

No comments: